A new visual cue, and a bucket-load of bug fixes

Eye3

Now you can move through the results just using a button, I realized there should be an indication of which result the preview is showing. Luckily, Google already used tables for their formatting, so I was able to use an existing table showing the snippet which had no border, and set its border to one to give a nice selection box.

Before I put that change in, I also tracked down the IE/youtube preview hang. It turns out some of my script cleaning code was too aggressive, and chewed up the final ‘>’ at the end of the document, so it ended with ‘</html' rather than '’. This confused explorer enough to cause a hang. There’s now a fix in for that problem.

While I was testing the selection box, I ran into some other bugs, mostly minor object access errors that caused different browsers to choke, which I was able to fix by adding more check to make sure methods existed before I called them.

I did see some problems with pdf links. Since these aren’t text, and are very large, the script doesn’t cope too well with them, and isn’t able to display them at all anyway. My solution was to check the ‘Content-Type’ header, and only let through pages with ‘text/’ in there. This should stop binary files like flash getting through too.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: