I’ve now got the new server up and running at http://funhousepicture.com/. I’m holding off on moving the app from dreamhost until the DNS has had a good chance to propagate, but I’ve got a test version running successfully.
It was a really interesting experience getting the server running. cari.net is definitely set up for people wanting to resell server space, rather than my simpler needs. They also assume a good knowledge of linux server administration, which is a reasonable expectation, but one which I struggled to meet! Luckily google came to my rescue and I was able to struggle through
- Setting up ssh for multiple users
- Installing and building ImageMagick and its dependencies
- Removing the virtual host bumpf that Plesk had set up for me
- Sorting out the file permissions so the apache process could actually work with my non-root user
- Removing auto_index from apache, since I really don’t want directory listings exposed to the world by default!
I was able to get that all done early this morning, and this evening, so the move should be possible tomorrow.
Funhouse Photo User Count: 164. It’s gone up more slowly than yesterday, but I am seeing plenty of people coming in from notifications their friends have sent them, which is promising.